SEN provision may be required for many different difficulties. Here is a sample. The ones in this list are not (unfortunately) mutually exclusive and tend to co-occur.
- autistic spectrum disorders
- emotional and behavioural difficulties
- hearing or visual impairment
- moderate or severe learning difficulties
- multi-sensory impairments
- physical disabilities
- profound and multiple learning difficulties
- speech and language difficulties.
(‘Gifted and talented’ is also a group recognised as needing special attention – this is easy to forget.)